Tuesday, May 15, 2012

This has a happy ending Sadly, Many Drug Addiction Stories Don't

So last night whilst on duty I was elated and overjoyed to see one of my patients on the road to recovery from drug addiction.He hails from a well educated influential family but due to peer pressure and wrong company he became addicted to all types of drugs including narcotics.Despite having lots of wealth he has never had a good upbringing.He was never happy inside. He always felt that there was something lacking in his life and perhaps that was his parents love and affection. His parents were never around for him or his siblings. They were always left in the company of maids or drivers. He told me once that he can not recall eating a plate of food prepared by his mom and that he actually envied me. Whilst relating his story to me a while back, I recall tears rolling down my cheeks. He use to travel from a neighbouring city to the hospital on a weekly basis for his narcotic fix. There were many times when he fought with me, cursed me and swore at me for refusing to give him the medication despite him having a legitimate prescription. A few months ago, whilst on a high, he had an accident and two people were critically injured. Thanks to God Almighty, they survived.Luckily for my patient the family forgave him and he paid them a certain amount of money as compensation for the damage caused. When he came to the hospital after the accident accompanied by two policemen, I sat him down and told him that he is destroying his life but that he has no right to destroy the life of another human being. I pleaded with him and his family to send him in for rehabilitation and he agreed. Last night, after a few months he came by the pharmacy to collect his dads medication. I couldn't believe that it was the same person.He always looked haggard, with red blood shot eyes. He use to always be aggressive and loud. Last night I felt as though I was meeting him for the first time. A totally changed person indeed. He looked bright and bubbly.He was kind and courteous with a positive, happy energy around him. I swear, inside my heart I felt really happy for him. May God Almighty keep him this way and guide him on the straight path always!!This story certainly has a happy ending. Sadly, many drug addiction stories DON'T!!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment