Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Dheiraj Kapoor- Success runs through his veins

Dheiraj Kapoor! Let me guess, you probably thinking he is a member of the famous Kapoor family in Bollywood. Well he isn't. He started out his career in 1995 as a model with assignments like Honda Activa TVC, Byford t-shirts Campaign, Gurukul Campaign, BPL net.com Campaign, and IBM computers Campaigns. He also acted in four English plays with internationally acclaimed theatre personality Mahesh Dattani and also acted in a Hindi play whilst doing his summer course at the National School of Drama. Having moved away from his family's well-established retail business, Dheiraj decided to pursue his career within the entertainment industry. Through his business and entrepreneurial skills, he has managed to execute and conceptualize hundreds of brand campaigns for leading international brands. It gives me an immense pleasure to interview a man of his stature and calibre, a successful entrepreneur and businessman who is certainly easy on the eyes. Read on to find out more in his own words.....


                                                       Photo credit Madhu S Dutta 

Drink you would order at a coffee shop: A healthy organic vegetable or fruit juice (I don’t drink neither coffee or tea or aerated drinks) Thus you will never find me in and around a coffee shop.

Favourite Indian cuisine: Butter Chicken, Butter Nun, Tandoori Chicken and Rajma Chawal
Favourite cologne: Tom Ford
Favourite holiday destination: Have many favourites as I have had the opportunity to travel extensively around the globe but amongst my recent favourites…it has to be Portugal

1. Firstly Dheiraj, thank you so much for taking time out to be interviewed by me on such short notice. Tell me a little more about your family background and life from childhood until present? Did you formally go to an acting school? Where did you study?

I am extremely grateful that you have thought about me for your blog. Thank you. I have a very blessed life thus far with the most beautiful parents who I could always count on and siblings who are by my side through every day of my existence.Originally a North Indian, I am born and brought up in Bangalore, therefore I have inculcated a fair mix of both North and South Indian cultural nuances in me - which has given me a cosmopolitan outlook therefore established a futuristic vision in self.
In Bangalore I have done theatre workshops with Mahesh Dattani, and followed it up with workshops in NSD New Delhi, LSDA London and New York, which has significantly enriched my experience in learning the art and craft of acting.

2.Did you always wish to be a part of the entertainment industry? Was your family supportive of you in terms of your career choices?

Certainly! It's has been my childhood dream to be a part of the celluloid world - pursuing my passion in this beautiful and fulfilling art form called 'acting' Since my childhood I was always keen in participating in dramatics, acting, fancy dress and dancing competitions. This resulted in developing my passionate interest for the world of cinema.
My family and friends have been extremely supportive, in fact they have been living my dreams, cherishing and nurturing them every moment.

3. Tell me a little bit about your modelling career. How did you enter the acting industry?

I have done modelling in the early stages of my career across different product categories like automobiles, fashion apparel, technical gadgets etc. Thus I had realized my intrinsic love to being in front of the lens.
My vision that being a model, one must possess the skills of acting, know how to be able to pose the right body language and strike the expression.
I enjoyed modelling and acting was a natural progression when I got the offer to work in films...I love the camera! Therefore doesn't matter whether it's modelling or acting - it’s all about a seamless visual narrative which being the protagonist I need to bring on board. And that's exactly what my endeavour has been thus far!

4. How do you balance your personal life and your career?

Respect both ends of the spectrum - and do my best to live up to my professional and personal commitments - because both bring to me an immense sense of gratification.
Therefore I take special efforts to keep the fun in both the world alive!

5. I am totally blown over at the fact that you have been involved in so many brand campaigns for huge companies involving Bollywood A listers. Elaborate further about your career as a brand marketer. What does it entail and how does one get to the top in such a competitive market?

I enjoy my role as a Brand Marketer – for me it doesn’t matter whom I am catering to. All that drives my passion is the core of the idea, the implementation of the marketing plan and the overall success of the brand initiative. What brings immense joy and a huge sense of gratification is when my Clients considers me as an extended part of his team who adds value to his business.
Maintaining a strong database and networking of industry specific sponsors for events and building and nurturing relations with strategic leadership and artist’s/celebrities representatives.
To keep to the top, having an excellent network with the right resources in the Corporate and Bollywood industry is essential.

6. I have heard through the grape vine that many actors and actresses are cast in movies or serials through couch casting. Do you think that this kind of practice is occurring within the industry?

I have never gotten myself into such situations in my career, therefore it is unfair for me to make a statement.

7.What has been your most memorable experience in your life thus far?

For me living everyday is an experience… and it’s my endeavor to make it memorable

8. If you could be granted one wish and have any skill or talent in the world, what would it be?

To be bestowed with a skill to bring a warm smile to every individual with simple joys of life.

9. Who or what inspires you?

Life, nature and people around inspire me most. A constant source of energy, which imbibes a sense of positive vibe!

10. What are your favourite websites?

Google. It breaks all boundaries makes me connect all around the globe with people and information.

11. Do you follow a strict eating plan or are you a gym fanatic? Is it necessary to be physically fit if you are part of the movie industry?

I am a firm believer in being physically fit not only body but mind and soul as well; from an early age I have been actively involved in multiple sports and then eventually started my gyming regime. But to adhere to a more holistic physical fitness, I have gotten into yoga. The passion for yoga and benefits I derive from it lead me into taking the next step – acquiring myself a international certification to teach.
Diet is the most misunderstood concept when it comes to fitness. It is very important to understand the need for your body and have a balanced diet plan keeping in mind long-term goals for a healthy living. I am definitely not a fan of haphazard diets, which can hamper your health in the long run.
Yes it is necessary to keep oneself fit and maintain required body statistics according to the character one is playing.

12. Who is your favourite actor, actress and singer in Bollywood? What qualities do they have that make them special to you?

Actors: Raj Kapoor, Dev Anand, Dilip Kumar, Guru Dutt & Amitabh Bachchan.
Actress: Late Smita Patil, Nargis, Sharmila Tagore, Rekha, Madhubala & Waheda Rehman.
Each had their own distinctive persona as well as individual and unique method of acting.

Singers: Music is the core essence of every movie - my favourites artists are Lata
Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Kishore Kumar, Mukesh, Mohammed Rafi, Nursat Fateh Ali Khan etc. These are the singers who touched my soul every time I listen to their creation.

13. In your opinion, what qualities does a person require in order to be a part of the entertainment industry?

Entertainment world has a sense of mystery, a feel of enigma! As a star who is part of this world of celluloid, the most important quality one needs to hold on to is humility, practicality and never shy away from the reality.

14. Define success. What does success mean to you?

Success to me is an amalgamation of humility, persistence and a mind-set to constantly evolve as an individual.

15. Give me your opinion about plastic surgery? Many models win beauty pageants and then head straight into Bollywood. Most of them undergo drastic plastic surgery as well as skin lightening treatments in order to conform to a certain look. What is your opinion about actors and actresses becoming successful after they have undergone cosmetic surgery?

I am of the opinion that since I haven’t gone through this process myself, so i would not be the correct person to comment on this.

16. Where do you see yourself five years from now? What are your plans for the future?

My mantra in life is to take each day at a time - keep working with all the right intention and let the supreme power take care of you. I am a true believer of “The Law of Karma”.
I want to continue in acting and look at taking up varied roles - which can constantly fulfill my urge and hunger to a performance oriented role, bring out my individual strengths define a sharp differentiator for the artist in me.

17. Fame can do strange things to people. How do you cope with fame and the fact that people easily recognize you wherever you go.?

Staying grounded and constantly nurturing the sense of humility is the key to being real to life and people around.

18. What advice do you have for young aspiring actors out there?

My one humble advice to every individual who aspires to be an actor is never stop dreaming, never stop learning and never forget people who stood by you when you were not a star...it's their wish and love that has been a catalyst to your success story as well.

19. Are there any additional comments you’d like to add for the blog readers?

Thank you so much for this interview and I wish this article brings in love and light amongst
the blog readers worldwide. Happy Reading

20. One last final question. You mentioned to me that you have visited South Africa many times. What has been your opinion of the country? Do you think that more Bollywood films should be shot here in SA?

Howzit !!! This was the first introduction to your beautiful country. Friendly people with a warm heart and hospitality totally made me feel at ease. South Africa is a very beautiful country with a multi-ethnic society encompassing a wide variety of cultures, languages, and religions. Have traveled the length and breadth of the country and enjoyed the scenic beauty immensely.
Yes of course there is so much more to explore, given the diverse landscape and beauty of nature complementing every part of the country, South Africa definitely becomes a favourable destination to shoot films & campaigns. I always look forward to coming back… hopefully this time with my film.

Dear Sumayya Mehtar,
Last but not the least I am grateful and would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for this amazing article.
Gratitude!
Cheers

DK



                                                         Photo credit Madhu S Dutta 



                           Watch out for Dheiraj Kapoors movie ANONA releasing next year

Image result for ANONA THE FILM
Photo credit: Natraaj Maharshi

"Every drop is so pure like nectar for the skin that caresses right through the veins that touch the soul awakening the innocence of a child. That is the magic that dwells within the power of nature, its gift, given with the warmth and love like of a mother. This is ANONA... goddess that dwells everywhere. She is within us and around us. "

To find out more about this exceptionally humble and down to earth actor and entrepreneur, check out his facebook page and website

www.dheirajkapoor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment