Friday, June 28, 2019

LETTER FROM A PRISONER - INDIAN MUSLIM RACISM


22 MAY 2019
Image result for INDIAN MUSLIM RACISM
                                                                       DAILY VOX 

As a Muslim Indian South African, I am truly proud of my religion, culture and country. These three are indispensable constituents of what makes me, me. The South African Muslim Indian diaspora is truly unique. The diaspora has some remarkable qualities and has achieved much success, amplified when viewed numerically. Sadly, there are numerous negative qualities too. I am neither a pessimist nor one to dwell on negatives but my incarceration has opened my eyes in many ways and I cannot simply remain silent when my voice has the potential to, at minimum, cause some to reflect, if not to act. 
I was brought up in 2 Muslim Indian communities in Johannesburg and spent just over a year between the 2 in a coloured area. I attended multi-racial schools for most of my school days, attended a multi-cultural dojo for over a decade, attended a public university and worked in a few environments with people of multiple ethnicities and religions. As much as I was exposed to people of different backgrounds to mine, my interaction with them was primarily confined to the said schools, dojo, university and work places. My social interactions were with Muslim Indians. This is typical of most Muslim Indians in South Africa.
Despite this exposure and having been brought up by parents who both tried to make a positive difference to the indigenous of the country, it was only in the prison environment that I truly became a part of the rainbow nation that is South Africa. In prison, I have had to share living space with the overwhelmingly black populous as well as predominantly black authorities. At first it was, and still after a decade it continues in some ways, to be a culture shock. The way we live, the values we have and the way that we think is different in many respects. Aside from the obvious language barriers, things like; the type of food, the amount of noise made, the lack of emotion and empathy, differences in cleanliness priorities and the like took a long time to get used to. It was only once I put my prejudices aside and interacted on a personal basis with black men that I began to understand their ways and even some of their crimes.
Through studying Islamic studies, sociology, anthropology, psychology and comparative religious studies; I have learnt so much more about my religion, culture and country. Upon reflection, one glaring conclusion is that Muslim Indian South Africans are, in general, racist. Muslim Indians who read this, may naturally be furious at the accusation; that will be no surprise to me. Whilst Muslim Indians of this country may, for the most part, not be overtly racist; racism is deeply ingrained within through decades of stereotyping, prejudice and attitudes of superiority.
The notion of attitudes of superiority requires some elaboration. Simply put, Muslim Indians think that they are better than others. I have witnessed this terrible logic in various ways.
My first exposure to this was learning how Indian Muslims made Malay Muslims feel belittled and secondary. I witnessed this first-hand due to the fact that my 100% Kholvad nana had married a 100% malay woman. In my interactions with nani’s family, it was clear to see that there was underlying animosity between Indians and Malays due to the superiority complex of Indians. I was also privy to numerous instances when kids in school would remark about my Malay family.
In later years, I would come to see even worse manifestations of this. The worst to me was probably my exposure as a Hifz student. In the late nineties, I was but a boy learning to memorise the Quran. For two years, a couple of my friends along with our dads went to lead the taraweeh prayers in Soweto. Even though there are thousands of Huffaaz in South Africa, nobody wanted to lead taraweeh in a black township. I could not and still cannot fathom how the Indian Muslim community, with its plethora of organisations, could fail so disgracefully in serving an indigenous community in need of something so important, that too in the month of Mercy!
Islam and Indians came to South Africa in a similar period in history. Both have been part of the landscape for over 3 centuries. Indian Muslims constitute the majority of Muslims in the country, followed by Malay Muslims. If you did not see the problem in the preceding statements, then my point is made! Muslims in South Africa have not made an impact on the indigenous population in over 3 centuries! Despite boasting infrastructure that rivals some Muslim states, we have failed miserably. This notion raises many further questions and thoughts. Why is it that indigenous black people constitute a tiny proportion of the Muslims of this country? When the Arabs traded with East Africa, their business ethics won the hearts of the locals and within decades Islam became the majority religion in vast areas; yet we who live with the locals for decades cannot make a positive impression. With much fanfare, Islam was officially presented to the Zulu king a couple of years ago; why did it take 300 odd years for that to happen? We have world renowned dar-ul-ulooms which make a habit of publicising the nationalities of their students, it is truly remarkable and commendable, but it is more remarkable that the percentage of local black students is negligible. We have tablighi jamaats that admirably traverse the world calling to Allah, yet we have local blacks who have never been exposed to Islam. Indian Muslim areas boast magnificent masjids whereas other communities struggle to construct and then maintain simple masjids. South African Muslim organisations donate so generously to causes all over the world; why then is it that local black Muslims are overlooked?
The situation in prison is the same. A national Muslim Prison Board exists which is supposed to see to the needs of Muslim prisoners. In all three prisons that I have been in, their assistance has been minimal. Halaal food issues, lack of spiritual care workers, lack of education for reverts, issues with reversion, death and burial issues and the complete lack of Islamic rehabilitative courses are some of the issues faced by Muslim prisoners. Within the prisons, other faiths are involved with prisoners on an almost daily basis; whilst we go for months on end without a single visitor. I have approached many ulema over the years and they have all responded to me by coming to see me or to kindly offer assistance to me, but my cries have not been for me but for my brothers inside.
Most of the Muslims in prison, reverted in prison. Islam is the fastest growing religion in prison and surpasses the national growth rate. Reverts require much assistance in terms of education, guidance and motivation which is almost entirely absent. One may feel that there are so many other people to help in this world, so why help a prisoner. Aside from the humane aspects, reverts have their past indiscretions wiped clean by Allah upon reverting to Islam. In that way, they are far better off than “born” Muslims who have their entire adult lives to account for. If Allah has guided them to Islam, then they belong to the same ummah as every other Muslim out there. Why then are they overlooked? Indian Muslims also need to be aware that statistically, Indian Muslims are represented in prisons proportionate to those outside, crime does not discriminate!
Internationally, Muslim communities do so much for their fellow Muslims behind bars. In my experience, it has only been foreign volunteers who have displayed any dedication or willingness to be of assistance. A similar occurrence happens within the black townships of South Africa, where it is mainly foreign Muslims who assist the locals.
Amongst these questions and thoughts is the simple, albeit harsh, conclusion that Indian Muslims are generally racist. As Ramadhaan dawns upon us, it is high time that we do some introspection. Muslims are proud and all know that there is no racism in Islam, it is high time we act upon it and change our attitudes so that Islam flourishes in our beautiful country. Whilst there is merit and our hearts bleed for those distressed abroad, we need to practice upon charity beginning at home, some amazing efforts are being made but so much more can and needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment